Many spouses know their marriage should end, but they delay filing for divorce until the start of a new year. They might want to avoid affecting the holidays for their children or other loved ones, or they might have too much on their plates to start the legal process. Whatever the reason might be, many people are facing a divorce filing at the start of 2023.
If you are in this position, you should always start by consulting with a Sacramento divorce lawyer. In your consultation, you can review the specifics of your marriage, finances, children, and other circumstances of concern. The attorney can advise you of the divorce process in California and what they might expect to happen in your case.
Keep in mind that you do not have to be absolutely certain you are filing for divorce to contact a lawyer. Even if you are considering divorce as a possible option, meeting with an attorney can let you know what to expect if you decide to move forward. Sometimes, this meeting can help sway your decision one way or the other.
Your lawyer can also provide some tips on what to do in the meantime before you file. This might include:
- Gathering all important information about each spouse and your children
- Gathering account information and documents for all of your financial assets, property, and debts
- Deciding whether one of you should move out of the house during the divorce and making arrangements
- Making financial plans for the future
- Ensuring you have an emotional support system
Facing a possible divorce is never pleasant, but the process can be easier with the right legal help from Judy Ford, Attorney at Law. Contact us today to discuss your options and how we can help you.