Sacramento Child Custody Attorney

Custody orders are official court orders that parents must follow or risk facing the consequences. However, what happens if your custody arrangement is no longer practical or even possible? As time passes and children get older, things change. Many parents realize that there is a need to update their child custody arrangement to account for changing situations.

To modify your custody arrangement, you must go through the court to have the order officially modified. If you and the other parent agree to the changes, contact a custody lawyer who can draft the proposed modification and file it with the court.

If the other parent does not agree to the changes, we can file a petition for the court to modify the order. For a successful modification, you must show that:

  • The modification is needed due to a substantial and lasting change in circumstances
  • The modification is in the best interest of the child

Changed circumstances might involve changes to your child’s school or athletic schedules, one parent moving farther away for a new job, one parent having an illness that prevents them from caring for the child, and much more.

The courts review many factors when determining whether a modification is in the best interest of the child. These include the fitness of the parents, the needs of the child, and much more. You want an experienced attorney presenting your case for a modification to the court, along with strong supporting evidence in favor of the modification.

A Sacramento Child Custody Attorney Can Help

If your child custody schedule is no longer working, reach out to Judy Ford, Attorney at Law, for a consultation. We can advise whether you might qualify for a modification and how the process works. Contact us to learn more about your custody rights and options.